March 27, 2011

My Prayer

I first learned of this poem/prayer in the 8th grade when it was on the bulletin board for our reflection and memorization (Catholic school memories...). It speaks truth of a heart ready to be humbled and used for God's service in any season or situation.  I love the way God created our minds that He can bring back to our remembrance anything from our experience and once again make it a part of our consciousness.  In the past twenty years, as my daily walk has been to "do to others what you would have them do to you" (Matthew 7:12), the poetic verses from St. Francis of Assisi have surfaced and become my prayer in many situations, encouraging me to look to the heart of the situation and respond in a manner pleasing to my Lord.  May His Kingdom come, may His Will be done in me, on earth as it is in heaven.
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy; 
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek 
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

No comments: