January 27, 2011

"Are you stressed?"

Yesterday I was challenged by the question "Are you stressed?"  Having learned to not give a quick answer, but to pause and consider circumstances before speaking ("think before you speak" echoes from my childhood...), I realized that a situation which had recently come into our lives had suddenly taken a change in form.  Although initially I had listened and waited to see what God was doing, just a few words from an unsuspecting person altered my perspective and cracked open a door into which the enemy had 'stuck his foot'.  My thoughts had moved forward at alarming speed toward possibilities that brought with them concerns, anxiety and pressure. A quick reflection helped me to recognize truth - enemy is real, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" -1 Peter 5:8. In this case, I was the target.

Thankful for this reminder, I quickly sought God and His plan, knowing that stress/urgency/pressure are not from Him. As I desire to follow His lead, and do intend to listen and obey, I was reminded of 1 Peter 5:7 "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you".  God knows our frame, how we are made - He made us and knows what we can & can't/should & shouldn't bear in our bodies, minds, and emotions. Jesus clearly tells us, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." -Matt. 11:28-30He has a plan for us to follow; are we obeying? Following His lead? 

It is Well with My Soul by Wayne Watson (click to hear song)

No comments: